Duration: 2M 16S Likes: 2 DisLikes: 0 Rating: 10 / 10
Views: 2023 Description: (22 Nov 2012)
1. Tilt down of injured Tottenham Hotspur fan leaving hospital with bandaged foot
2. Close of same supporter with bandage on head
3. Wide of Tottenham fans standing in front of Santo Spirito Hospital
4. Mid of injured fan waiting for taxi
5. Close of hospital emergency-room sign
6. SOUNDBITE (Italian) Dr Franco Angelini, Director of Santo Spirito Hospital:
"We dealt with scrapes on the scalp. Of the three, if you want to have more specific news, there was one who was slightly more serious, who had problems with some bones in his foot."
7. Mid of ambulances outside entrance to emergency room
8. Tilt down of exterior of damaged pub "The Drunken Ship"
9. SOUNDBITE (Italian) Marco Manzi, owner of "The Drunken Ship" pub:
"Around 1 a.m. (0000 GMT), I can't tell you more precisely, they came from Piazza della Cancelleria, around 20 of them, and from Via dei Baulari. Boys with helmets, faces covered, leather jackets and they had every possible thing on them. They then threw things into the pub."
10. Wide of interior of damaged pub
11. Close of shattered glass
12. Close of smear of blood on wall
13. Close of broken window
14. SOUNDBITE (Italian) Marco Manzi, owner of "The Drunken Ship" pub:
"They threw everything, I mean everything. Cobblestones, iron bolts, they had wrenches, they threw the pub tables and chairs, and even this fence outside, they pulled it up and threw it at them. Then, not even satisfied with that, when some English managed to get away, they came outside and got them on Via dei Cappellari, and I heard that they stabbed someone."
15. Mid of of police station where attackers are being held
16. Wide of police station
17. Close of sign reading (Italian) "Rome police headquarters"
Fans of the English football team Tottenham Hotspur left Rome's Santo Spirito Hospital on Thursday after getting treatment for injuries sustained during a violent attack by masked assailants at a popular drinking spot the night before.
Dozens of suspected fans of the local team Lazio - who wielded cobblestones, knives and metal rods - attacked the London-based Tottenham supporters who were out drinking ahead of their Europa League match.
The assailants stabbed at least one fan and sent seven of them to hospital, police and witnesses said.
Police said they detained some of the 50 attackers, but others got away in the early hours of Thursday morning after trashing "The Drunken Ship" pub in Rome's Campo de' Fiori square.
Blood stained the cobblestones outside the bar.
Inside the situation was no better - windows and mirrors were smashed, and stools and tables were overturned and broken into pieces.
"They threw everything, I mean everything," said bar owner Marco Manzi after returning to survey the damage on Thursday.
"Cobblestones, iron bolts, they had wrenches, they threw the pub tables and chairs, and even this fence outside, they pulled it up and threw it at them," he added.
The aggressors were believed to be Lazio fans, though they all had their faces covered by motorcycle helmets or scarves.
The brawl began sometime after 1 a.m. (0000 GMT) and was over within 20 minutes, Manzi said.
Police said those hospitalised were British men, aged 20 to 60.
Manzi said that after the brawl ended inside the pub, the thugs escaped and knifed another victim about 20 meters (yards) away, down a small cobblestone street.
A police van or two is often stationed a few metres (yards) from the pub because fights regularly break out in the piazza frequented at night by US exchange students, tourists and young Italians.
Lazio hosts Tottenham at the Stadio Olimpico on Thursday night in a Europa League group match.
You can license this story through AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/metadata/youtube/c451c96d496d0ab242c3b9bff78cef2c
Find out more about AP Archive: http://www.aparchive.com/HowWeWork....